Happy Wednesday, ballroom dancers!
I probably should have written about the day-by-day cast reveal, but it was entirely too exhausting. Not only the reveal of one person a day, but also the reveals have been all over the place, on different shows and etc. It’s already been a lot to keep up with and the season doesn’t even start for another week and a half.
There has, apparently, been a LOT of shuffling of cast! More on that later. Here are the pairings (I get most of my info from Pure DWTS):
Tamar Braxton & Valentin Chmerkovskiy
Gary Busey & Anna Trebunskaya
Nick Carter & Sharna Burgess
Paula Deen & Louis van Amstel
Victor Espinoza & Karina Smirnoff
Andy Grammer & Allison Holker
Hayes Grier & Emma Slater
Bindi Irwin & Derek Hough
Chaka Khan & Keo Motsepe
Alexa PenaVega & Witney Carson
Carlos PenaVega & Mark Ballas
Alek Skarlatos & Lindsay Arnold
Kim Zolciak & Tony Dovolani
So, the streets have been rumbling (I watch too much Wendy Williams, but I can’t stop. She’s my church). What I’ve heard so far is:
· Artem Chigvintsev is out for the season, possibly due to an elbow injury, but may be in the troupe.
· Henry Byalikov and Brittany Cherry are gone. Permanently.
· Peta Murgatroyd has been sidelined with a severe ankle injury that will need surgery.
· Peta was originally partnered with Andy Grammer (he requested her specifically). When she got hurt, the rumors were that Lindsay would be replacing Peta. Also, Peta’s plan was for her to choreograph and spend as much time with them as possible in rehearsals, and if she healed in time for the last weeks of the show, she’d step back in.
· Allison right after s20 was very sure about being back for this season, but had been super quiet when everyone else was posting those sort-of cryptic “Best day ever!” tweets.
· Paula asked for Louis.
· Artem was confirmed as a pro for this season.
· I’m thrilled there are so many Latinos in the cast this season! I feel like we’re really underrepresented in the media. And this seems like a good bunch, too.
· Really looking forward to Nick & Sharna. I am and always have been Team *NSYNC, but I had nothing against BSB.
· I am SO happy Karina is back! She and Derek are the ones whose dancing I study!!!
· Actually, most of what I think is “I wonder why”. Okay, I’ve got so many questions that “I wonder why” deserves its own section.
· Why Louis van Amstel and Anna Trebunskaya are back. Of course, they’re two of the good ones (Louis was dance partners with Karina for a while and Anna is a tough cookie of a teacher), but the last time either one of them was on the show was years ago. Even though Louis was supposed to be on s20 until Derek decided to come back at the last minute. And apparently, they’ve both said some things about the show that were not very nice. I can see their personalities being more compatible with their respective celebs, but that can’t be all…
· Why Allison got Peta’s partner, because this definitely forced casting to re-rack ’em up. Did maybe Allison have a different partner in the works that fell through in the 11th hour? Because otherwise, why would she be so radio silent until, what, two days ago?
· Why not just bump Sasha up to pro? I really like him – he’s really a team player, never complains, and super fun. Then again, for all we know, he prefers being in the troupe.
· How come Tamar’s in the cast. Look, I used to watch The Real religiously and I think Tamar is so funny. But for some reason, this one seems more like a last-second get.
· What led the casting department to get Alek? I do love having a national hero, but it seems kind of random…especially since the incident that made him a hero happened not two weeks ago.
Am I alone in this?